Translate

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Top 50 Filmmaking Quotes to Inspire (INDIE FILM HUSTLE)

 Image result for quotation marks



By Alex Ferrari (https://indiefilmhustle.com/filmmaking-quotes/)


Anyone who has ever listen to the IFH Podcasts know that I start off ever episode with a filmmaking quote. I decided to put together a list of some of my favorite filmmaking quotes from some of the master of the medium. Without further ado enjoy the inspiration.


Pick up a camera. Shoot something. No matter how small, no matter how cheesy, no matter whether your friends and your sister star in it. Put your name on it as director. Now you’re a director. Everything after that you’re just negotiating your budget and your fee.
– James Cameron

When given an opportunity, deliver excellence and never quit.
― Robert Rodriguez

The saddest journey in the world is the one that follows a precise itinerary. Then you’re not a traveler. You’re a f@@king tourist.
― Guillermo del Toro

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.
– Walt Disney

Film is, to me, just unimportant. But people are very important.
― John Cassavetes

Let me just pause a minute and drink in this moment. And if you film it, I’ll be able to get free refills for life.
― Jarod Kintz

Cinema is a matter of what’s in the frame and what’s out.
― Martin Scorsese
There are no rules in filmmaking. Only sins. And the cardinal sin is dullness.
– Frank Capra

The characters in my films try to live honestly and make the most of the lives they’ve been given. I believe you must live honestly and develop your abilities to the full. People who do this are the real heroes.
– Akira Kurosawa

If there’s specific resistance to women making movies, I just choose to ignore that as an obstacle for two reasons: I can’t change my gender, and I refuse to stop making movies.
– Kathryn Bigelow

A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end… but not necessarily in that order.
– Jean-Luc Godard

A film is – or should be – more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what’s behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later.
– Stanley Kubrick

The Biggest Mistake in Student Films is That They Are Usually Cast So Badly, With Friends and People the Directors Know.
– Brian De Palma

Although I Write Screenplays, I Don’t Think I’m a Good Writer.
– George Lucas

A lot of times you get credit for stuff in your movie that you didn’t intend to be there.
– Spike Lee

People say I pay too much attention to the look of a movie but for God’s sake, I’m not producing a Radio 4 Play for Today, I’m making a movie that people are going to look at.
– Ridley Scott

I think audiences get too comfortable and familiar in today’s movies. They believe everything they’re hearing and seeing. I like to shake that up.
– Christopher Nolan

For me, filmmaking combines everything. That’s the reason I’ve made cinema my life’s work. In films, painting and literature, theatre and music come together. But a film is still a film.
– Akira Kurosawa
A Film is a Petrified Fountain of Thought.
– Jean Cocteau

My idea of professionalism is probably a lot of people’s idea of obsessive.
– David Fincher

If you have to have a job in this world, a high-priced movie star is a pretty good gig.
– Tom Hanks

I like unformed characters. This may be because, no matter how old I get, I am still unformed myself.
– Akira Kurosawa

If a million people see my movie, I hope they see a million different movies.
– Quentin Tarantino

The only safe thing is to take a chance.
– Mike Nichols

I Am Certain There is Too Much Certainty in the World.
– Michael Crichton

First cuts are a bitch for a director, because it’s been so many months and you put your trust in your editor and you’re going to see your film assembled for the first time. You look at it and go, This is terrible. I hate it.
– Richard Donner
I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts. – Orson Welles

Casting is 65 percent of directing.
– John Frankenheimer

You see so many movies… the younger people who are coming from MTV or who are coming from commercials and there’s no sense of film grammar. There’s no real sense of how to tell a story visually. It’s just cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, you know, which is pretty easy.
– Peter Bogdanovich

I couldn’t sleep one night and I was sitting in my office and I realized that I was an independent filmmaker.
– Darren Aronofsky

Hollywood is great. I also think it’s stupid and small-minded and shortsighted.
– David Fincher

Being an artist means not having to avert one’s eyes.
– Akira Kurosawa

A director must be a policeman, a midwife, a psychoanalyst, a sycophant and a bastard.
– Billy Wilder

In the future, everybody is going to be a director. Somebody’s got to live a real life so we have something to make a movie about.
– Cameron Crowe

People have forgotten how to tell a story. Stories don’t have a middle or an end any more. They usually have a beginning that never stops beginning.
–Steven Spielberg
Film is a battleground.
–  Sam Fuller

Our feeling is that the most important thing on a set is that actors have enough confidence to try different things. If there’s stress or tension, they won’t go out on a limb because they won’t want to embarrass themselves if they don’t feel completely comfortable.
– Peter Farrelly

All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.
– Charlie Chaplin

Why Pay a Dollar for a Bookmark? Why Not Use the Dollar for a Bookmark?
– Steven Spielberg

Eighty Percent of Success is Turning Up.
– Woody Allen

Human beings share the same common problems. A film can only be understood if it depicts these properly.
– Akira Kurosawa

If My Film Makes One More Person Miserable, I’ve Done My Job.
– Woody Allen

The first monster you have to scare the audience with is yourself.
– Wes Craven

We tend to do period stuff because it helps make it one step removed from boring everyday reality.
– Ethan Coen

Movement should be a counter, whether in action scenes or dialogue or whatever. It counters where your eye is going. This style thing, for me it’s all fitted to the action, to the script, to the characters.
– Samuel Fuller

It is the power of memory that gives rise to the power of imagination.
– Akira Kurosawa

But having a really good understanding of history, literature, psychology, sciences – is very, very important to actually being able to make movies.
– George Lucas

Cinema should make you forget you are sitting in a theater.
– Roman Polanski

I’ve reached a place that many directors and filmmakers get to, and I’m grateful for that, and I can work within those boundaries. If something comes along that is totally outside of horror, fine, but I find there’s an immense amount of freedom within the genre.
– Wes Craven

In order to write scripts, you must first study the great novels and dramas of the world. You must consider why they are great. Where does the emotion come from that you feel as you read them? What degree of passion did the author have to have, what level of meticulousness did he have to command, in order to portray the characters and events as he did? You must read thoroughly, to the point where you can grasp all these things. You must also see the great films. You must read the great screenplays and study the film theories of the great directors. If your goal is to become a film director, you must master screenwriting.
– Akira Kurosawa

No comments:

Post a Comment