Translate

Friday, July 4, 2014

You're A Filmmaker? Where Are Your Films?...


With all the recent news of new cameras and Filmmaking gear coming out, I began to notice something. I guess I've noticed it before but never took the time to think about it. What I'm seeing is that a lot of us Filmmakers (myself included) keep waiting and waiting and waiting for that perfect time to make a movie.
"If only I had that Camera/editing software/lens I would finally make a movie."  *sad face*
Really? Would you? Because there is always going to be better equipment coming out, and once you go down that road nothing will ever be good enough for your movie (and it will never happen). I feel like a lot of us (again, myself included) sometimes use our lack of "proper" gear as an excuse to sit on our butts and do nothing.

Why it's not a valid excuse.

Lack of having the "right" equipment is only a valid excuse if you don't have a camera and editing software. I understand that in some cases our script requires something that we aren't currently able to get, but in most cases WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A SCRIPT!
That's right! While we're busy sobbing about the fact that we can't afford a 4K camera, we don't even have a script (or ideas for that matter) for that awesome movie we're supposedly going to make. Isn't a good story the most important element? Yes it is, but while we do know that we just can't help but wait for After Effects CS9 because it will solve all our problems. 
In my case, I personally own more filmmaking equipment than anyone I'm friends with, yet for the past couple years I was still waiting for that right time to make a short film even though I've made films back in high school with a lot less. I had no trouble making music videos and commercials for clients with all my gear and my Canon t2i, but for some reason I thought they weren't good enough to make movies. I know it doesn't make much sense, but that's exactly my point in this post: They're all excuses!

Why we make excuses.

I believe the number one reason we make excuses is fear. We Filmmakers are very proud people, so our biggest fear is that our movie won't be good enough and that people will criticize it. We're like parents who hide their newborn baby because someone might say he's ugly.
That fear of criticism causes us to focus on why our movie won't be perfect if we do it now.
"DSLRs have a rolling shutter. I can't have rolling shutter issues in my movie. Therefore, I ain't doing s@#t! till that gets fixed."
Unfortunately, a lot of us think this way. To move forward as a filmmaker we need to overcome that fear of not being perfect and do the best we can with what we have. Don't worry that your camera doesn't have great low light sensitivity; worry about telling a good story.
PS. The average viewer is oblivious to most of the technical issues we have, so don't blow every problem out of proportion.

How to break free and start filming.

Once you go down the technology-obsessed path, it's really hard to come back. I found my way this year, thanks to to one of my Film professors. For the class, we had to make 3 short films--two of which had to be filmed in 5 hours. It was a pretty hard experience, but it was so much fun to go back out there and make movies! For the 2 which had to be filmed in 5 hours, I only used my t2i, a tripod, and a shoulder mount. Very simple set up, yet the movies were still made and came out really good (should have them online soon).
Picture
Screenshots from the short films I did for the class.
Picture
After making those 3 shorts I realized how irrational my thinking was during all that time. I didn't need a camera that could shoot 120 fps, just the drive to go make something. 
The only way to break free of this thinking is to make a movie. I know you think if only you had a 5D Mark IV you would make some great short films, but as someone who has a bunch of film gear I'm hear to tell you a 5D won't change a thing. Unless you start filming stuff, you'll just keep wanting more and more for your perfect little movie that will never happen. 

Are you up for a challenge?
Here's my challenge to you: Look at everything you currently have available to you and ask yourself "What short/feature film could I make with those resources?" Then, I want you to do that movie this summer. No more excuses. It doesn't matter if your camera isn't HD, or if you only use Movie Maker, you have to do something! Think of a cool story, and make something that's at least 3 minutes.
Are you up for the challenge? If so, let me know in the comments below. Whenever your movie is done, post a link in the comments and I will personally give you a constructive review. You're going to have a ton of time this summer, please don't waste it drooling over that "perfect" camera you can't afford. 
You're a Filmmaker damn it, so make films.

No comments:

Post a Comment